Google
 

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Nostalgia, Memories - and a Sharp Jolt Back to Reality.....

Music for the day: Retro with Talking Heads; and Blues, BOP-Style with Kokomo.

We were treated to a show today, a show of L8, H6 and their mate Jessica "doing" Kelly Clarkson. I always love an impromptu show, whether we're at home and we've broken into "30 Seconds of Fame" where we each do an item for 30 seconds off the tops of our heads, or we're at a family party and the singing and connecting comes to a halt as some of the kids are doing "A Show". You know, it doesn't seem like all *that* long ago that it was me and the cuzzies doing the party-stopping for one of our Shows.....



We went travelling yesterday to visit our dear friends Esther and family in Tokoroa. It was quite a nostalgic trip for me, having spent a good chunk of my growing-up years there. We went driving round the town as I pointed out friends houses, houses we'd lived in, especially the house that my Mum and Dad built in Tainui Street, schools, Brownie Halls, Churches, Pie Carts, etc.

I was all very floaty and misty as I drove off to our rendezvous point off Old Taupo Road, when all of a sudden some flashing blue and red lights snapped me back to reality, tout de suite! A $180 speeding ticket later - "Really, Officer? A 50kph zone you say? I can't recall seeing many signs, it's a pretty isolated country road we're on here, isn't it? Oh, and a $200 fine for no warrant? No, really, *you* have a nice day!!!!!!!!!"

2 Comments:

Blogger skatey katie said...

i have a photo *exactly* like that, taken a month or two ago when the veronicas-wanna-bes did their last show.

and.. what is it about police officers (see, i am using the polite term) who hide out at the side of a building and then streak out and flag down unsuspecting motorists travelling innocently down country roads??
i remember my last trip, in convoy with you, to hammy-town.
i am still smarting over that.
but it cost me a *third* of yours: ouch!!

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Debbie, this is great, I think I'm going to love reading about your adventures, keep it up. Hugs Karen

7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home