Google
 

Friday, October 27, 2006

For Starters.....

Maybe I'll start a blog, and maybe it'll be here. Maybe I'll suck, maybe I won't.

Will I start with how I flew through the air tonight at Indoor Netball and did an *awesome* intercept, only to come crashing down to earth - being the lithe, nimble wee thing that I am, land on my knees (with ball in hand, I might add) - only to be pinged for stepping! What an OUTRAGE! My team tried to protest on my behalf: "She didn't step! She crawled!" The team got six goals tonight in the entire half hour game. They were stoked, because last week they only got five.

Maybe I'll start with the amazing Breast Cancer Support Fun Run/Walk I participated in last night. The first time I've done it, and it was truly amazing - of course, the wine tasting at the halfway mark made the last leg fly by (we had to make sure that the minors amongst us didn't partake, so we absolutely *had* to drink, I mean 'taste', their share) and the sexy firemen handing out flowers as you crossed the finish line ensured you weren't too piqued looking! . The people that were there were *so* into the spirit of things, they were all dressed up in any manner of pink outfits with any manner of boobs and bras in every combination you could imagine, and then some! There was an 82 year old lady there who got a prize, she was wearing a sign that said "Having Fun - Minus One!" Obviously a breast cancer survivor and making the most of it. Next year I'm taking the whole family - although men are only allowed to participate if they are dressed in drag, as it is strictly a 'Women Only' event. I can't see The Lad dressing in drag in public (he may surprise me, so watch this space.....), so he might have the task of saving us a table at the pub for afterwards. Here's the gorgeous pink gerbera I received at the finish line.



Or shall I be as boring as sharing dinner with you - Halve that French Stick lengthwise, keeping it together, then slice it into four. Place all eight chunks on a grill tray, cut side up. Pluck the parsley and the chives from the windowsill and chop roughly, chop a few *large* cloves of garlic equally as roughly and combine all in a good couple of dollops of room temperature butter, spread the bread and place in the oven, ready to turn on after you have started the fish cooking. Into a bowl, throw fridge scraps and call it a salad - we had the baby spinach leaves left over from Paninis, a peeled and diced orange from the aunty's tree, some cucumber, some tomato, some shaved cumin gouda, a few olives and a vinaigrette (use the zest from the orange you peeled, some of the juice left on the chopping board, some of that gorgeous oregano olive oil and some tarragon vinegar to finish). Chuck into the toaster those crusts lurking in the bottom of the bread bags that nobody ever wants to eat (but nobody ever wants to chuck them out the window to the chooks either.....). While they are toasting, put a couple of tablespoons flour mixed with some freshly ground black pepper into a bowl, stir an egg with a teaspoon or so of water in another bowl, and when the crusts are ready chuck them in the blender with a few cornflakes and some lemon pepper, dip the halved (lengthwise) fish fillets (that you bought from the market on the way home) into the flour, the egg and then the crumbs and cook in the organic oregano-infused extra virgin olive oil you found in the specials bin at the vege shop (with the knob of leftover garlic butter thrown in for good measure). Turn on the asparagus pot and the grill for the bread, round up the whanau and have turns sharing "Three Good Things About My Day...." with each other round the dinner table.

Not bad for a first effort.

10 Comments:

Blogger flowerpot said...

Absoloutly Gorgeous Darling,
Welcome to our world.

10:51 pm  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oh poos and wees
*kate sulks*
...i thought *i* will be the queen of the castle.

well, first the worst, second the best, as they say...

i am so excited. you're a natural.
anyway, it's hardly a competition hey.

two days ago, i found these inspiring words from one of my fave singer/songwriter/poets... she is a muse of mine:

I tell people all the time that they should keep a journal, even if it's just, 'I had a terrible day today and I don't want to talk about it, love Stevie,' or 'I dreamt last night...' Even if it's just three sentences because at the end of five or six days, you would have created a habit and you will find that over a month that you have a whole story growing. Whether it's just for your own memories, so you can go back at any age, or if you are a writer or a singer, or some part of the creative business. You can be creative ~ anyone can be creative if they want to ~ you just have to want to.

~Stevie Nicks, Musicians in Tune by Jenny Boyd, 1992


and that's what it's about for me.
my memories of my world, jotted down for me, and my kids..
and this week i've started downloading it into a photo album of sorts, cos the word *scrapbooking* makes me nauseous..

not bad for a first effort
:o) yep, gorgeous, you have my vote xx

10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll start a blog, and maybe it'll be here. Maybe I'll suck, maybe I won't.

Will I start with how I flew through the air tonight at Indoor Netball and did an *awesome* intercept, only to come crashing down to earth - being the lithe, nimble wee thing that I am, land on my knees (with ball in hand, I might add) - only to be pinged for stepping! What an OUTRAGE! My team tried to protest on my behalf: "She didn't step! She crawled!" The team got six goals tonight in the e

9:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not only gorgeous Deb... you're a "natural wonder". In the words of someone famous (maybe Oprah?)... "You go, girl" ;)

10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely little whanau you have.
Haven't got time to read your blog at the moment but I will if I get a spare hour. (Slow reader, LOL)
Obviously Selena is a friend of yours. LOL.

7:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well once again Deb you have out done yourself,and you are gergeous as well"you go girlfriend"

8:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks gorgeousdebbie for letting me know about your blog.

I am delighted to hear whats going on for you as it has been a while since we talked, keep it going girlfriend.

11:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My god you and your mates are such hippies! I'm not gonna be part of your little exaggerated praise society, that sort of shit is bad for you in the long run.

But I will say you have done a great job with the blog and the layout, well done, I didn't read the whole thing but I'll bookmark it for when I'm feeling a bit down and need a dose of family, so yeah, well done Sis, and thanks.

Oh yeah - my only suggestion would be to add a few pictures of hot chicks in bikinis
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

12:09 pm  
Blogger The Gorgeous Debbie said...

You're now officially one of those hippies, ya big spunk! You *are* so part of it. It's really hard to find bikinis to fit our chooks as their bums are inevitably waaaay bigger than their tops, but I'll keep it mind for you. Now, where's a picture I can blog of My Big Brother The Realist I wonder .....

4:48 pm  
Blogger The Gorgeous Debbie said...

Katie, you most fabulous of beings, you!

"anyway, it's hardly a competition hey."

Thank Goodness! Like I would have a chance against my Blog Queen, the lady who inspired me to even *start* a blog. If I can do half the job tht you do I will be truly rapt.

Love to you, as bad for me as it might be ;o)

10:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home